As we all know, sweating is an inevitable side effect of running which often leads to an unpleasant smell. Fortunately, applying perfume at opportune times can effectively mask your body odor. There are so many different types of perfumes that choosing the ideal one for you can seem like a daunting task, but most runners prefer a scent from either the fresh, earthy, or floral family of perfumes. Our top picks are detailed below along with some tips to get the most out of your fragrance as a runner.
Top Floral Perfumes for Female Runners
- Burberry Sport Perfume by Burberry for Women has mandarin and sea salt tones with honeysuckle and floral notes for a sporty yet feminine scent.
- Light Blue by Dolche & Gabbana consists of apple, bluebells, citron, white rose and jasmine scents that result in a joyful smell.
- Poeme by Lancome blends a number of different floral scents. If you consider yourself feminine and flirty, then this mix of rose, vanilla and mimosa is right for you.
- Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf is the perfume for you if you are full of optimism as it blends orchid, freesia, rose, jasmine, and more.
Top Earthy Perfumes for Female Runners
- Sporty Citrus by Michael Kors has hints of mandarin orange, jasmine and patchouli. You will love this citrusy, sporty scent.
- Knowing by Estee Lauder has a woody scent consisting of patchouli, sandalwood and oak as well as some floral tones. It is a bit expensive but an elegant option.
- Versace Woman by Versace is perfect if you like the smell of musk. Other tones include amber, wood and lotus.
- Nutmeg and gardenia are the starts of Organza by Givenchy, and if you like to go from running to a professional environment, then this is for you.
Top Fresh Perfumes for Female Runners
- Fresh Cream by Philosophy is affordable, and has a soft, sweet scent. If you like the scent of vanilla and prefer a subtle fragrance than this is for you.
- Eau So Fresh by Marc Jacobs is the perfect post-run scent if you enjoy fruity fragrances. This warm perfume emanates smells of pear, raspberry and grapefruit.
- Be Delicious by DKNY is a stunning blend of cassis, grapefruit, apricot and jasmine. If you want a fresh scent with an inherent brightness, then this one is for you!
Top Sports Deodorants for Female Runners
- If you prefer deodorant over perfume, Burt's Bees Herbal Deodorant by Burt's Bees is one of the best out there. It is all natural with citrus scents such as lemon and hints of lavender.
- Degree motionSENSE Sheer Powder is specifically designed to go on clear and respond to your movements and higher levels of activity to increase protection. It smells fresh and clean.
- Secret Outlast Clear Gel is another deodorant that can be found at most drug stores. It feels fresh when applied and comes in a variety of scents, including floral and citrus tones.
When and Why Should You Apply Perfume as a Runner?
The best time to apply your perfume is about fifteen minutes after a run. As most perfumes have some alcohol in them, they tend to evaporate quickly if your body is too warm so giving yourself a few moments to cool down post-run will help you make the most of your perfume. Additionally, perfume reacts well with natural skin oils that will be present on your body after a run.
The most significant benefit of wearing perfume as a runner is that it helps cover up body odour. However, you may also feel more confident and get a slight mood boost from wearing perfume. Studies have shown that women who wear perfume often feel more in control and motivated which can lead to longer and happier workouts!
If you do not think that perfume is for you, then a scented deodorant might work well. An antiperspirant is not recommended because that actually stops you from sweating, but a deodorant is good enough to mask underarm body odour. These should always be applied prior to going for a run or after getting out of the shower.
Deodorants are also ideal for those who run with friends that might be bothered by a perfume scent. Keep in mind that when your body gets warmer, your fragrance emits a stronger smell.
What's Your Smell
Whether you are an avid runner or a casual jogger, perfume is something that can add a boost to your exercise. Remember to apply it post-run after your body has cooled down for the absolute best results. If perfume is not your thing, consider a scented deodorant instead. After all, no one wants to worry about body odour after the high that accompanies a great, freeing run. Personally, I prefer fresh scents with fruity tones, but which of the aforementioned fragrances would be the best fit for you? Are you a fresh, earthy, or floral kind of woman?