The introduction of the Apple Watch was unlike anything consumers experienced in recent times thanks to extensive media coverage and advertising. You might have to go back to the award-winning TV spot introducing the first Apple Computer in 1984 to find a comparison.
Is the multi-featured wrist device worth all of the hype? It is if you crave a tool that can help handle portions of your life and keep tabs on your activity and health as you juggle work, home, school and whatever outside activities claim your time and energy. Should you buy an Apple Watch? I decided to take on a personal try to find out, my selection: Apple Watch 38 mm Stainless Steel Case (Milanese loop with additional White Sport Band).
Features and Technologies
Will the Apple Watch make me breakfast toast and tea? Not exactly, but it will awaken me in time to make my critical meeting. You’ll make a lasting impression wearing this finely-styled piece of jewellery that elicits attention from people who respect the fact that it is also capable of running a portion of your life!
Glance at the Digital Crown and admire the Retina display that’s a breeze to operate thanks to an ambient light sensor. Effortlessly tap through features like the heart rate reader that delivers numbers in highly-readable font sizes that even someone with deteriorating eyesight can appreciate.
This watch features a speaker, microphone, Wi-Fi capability, Bluetooth 4.0 and you can expect up to 18 hours of battery life according to Apple. It helps if you are already an Apple fan, because this watch only interfaces with its closest relatives.
Benefits of the Apple Watch
Where shall we begin as we attempt to extol the benefits of this new technology? A full accounting would require more space, so we’ll whet your appetite before you undertake your own research and, more importantly, try one on for size to see how it looks and feels:
- The Apple Watch alerts to notifications with the efficiency of a well-trained canine.
- Delete already-read email instantly with a single left swipe.
- Use the Force Touch activity app to manipulate daily activity goals on the fly.
- Track active calories, steps and distance travelled with precision.
- Monitor conditioning efforts in real time by referring to the exercise summary activity app.
- Turn off the graphics if they get annoying and all you want are the numbers, thanks very much.
- Keep perpetual track of your calories, so you can put down your fork before you take a second bite of cake!
- Use the music app to carry tunes directly from the watch to your ears via headphones or speakers.
- Take world-class selfies using the watch as your viewfinder and then download them directly to your iPhone.
- Siri is at your beck and call. Call her up by holding down the Digital Crown and voila! She goes where you go. Or if you prefer, there is an easier way of activating Siri. Simply raise your wrist to activate the Apple Watch and say “Hey Siri.” Siri will come on without you even having to press anything.
- Seriously? It’s the Apple Watch, people! The prestige may lure you, but it’s the full spectrum of features that won my heart and mind, so let’s say that owning this watch could dramatically alter and improve your image, especially with the 18-carat gold cases.
- It’s beautifully designed, from the solid stainless steel case to the sapphire crystal, magnetic closure and ceramic back that protects inner workings.
- Changing of straps are easily done. Apple has a range of good quality and beautiful straps to choose from. Now you can have 1 watch styled for various occasions!
- Ease of use has captured my heart as this is the first time I met an electronic device that didn’t confuse me.
- Creepy or useful? The Friends feature lets me see who else is wearing an Apple Watch!
- If you’re already Apple-centric, your watch works with other Apple devices and apps.
- As a visual learner when it comes to technology, the Apple Watch online tour is a bonus for me.
- You’ll have to wait for the next iteration of the Apple Watch to access third-party extensions or alternate watch faces. For the moment, I’ll stick with Mickey Mouse.
- There are consumers report of “dead spots” popping up on screens and that the watch runs up to four minutes fast.
- While Apple insists battery life is 18 hours, that’s only likely if my watch stays “dark” most of the time.
- Prices are on the high side and since the watch only interfaces with other Apple devices, those on a tight budget might have to keep searching. The price of the Apple Watches ranges from S$518 to S$18,000.
After trying on the new Apple Watch, our team feels that the watch digital touch feature could be a good way for us to connect with one another. Frankly, the watch looks more fashionable on my wrist than the other bands and trackers that I’ve tried. With the watchOS 2 releasing soon, the device could only get more powerful and better which always have been the case for Apple’s product.
Have you tried the Apple Watch? What are the features that you love using the most? Share with us your views, thoughts and feedback of this gadget and you are welcomed to add us as friends so we’ll share with you our feelings via our Apple Watches when we go for our run.