I’m a dad and a husband, so family comes first. Gone are my bachelor days when I thought of myself first and didn’t think twice about treating myself to the latest running gear. But something weird happens when you become a dad. You start thinking school shoes over running shoes and book bags over leather briefcases. I was willing to sacrifice so the kids could have what they needed.
Then my son spoke up one morning. “Dad could really use a new pair of running shoes because,” my son giggled looking at me, “your feet stink!” My son’s comment was all I needed to get a new pair of running shoes and I found the Under Armour Bandit 3 running shoes, new for 2017.
Something amazing happened the moment I slid the shoes onto my feet and took them out for a test run. They didn’t feel like my old Bandits. They felt better.
What an improvement!
I had my share of excitement when I purchased my old Charged Bandits and used them for my favourite distance race, the half-marathon. But after that initial trial run, I knew the Bandit 3 and I were going to have a long, happy relationship for these reasons:
- The Charged Cushioning midsole engineering is so precise, the Bandit 3 feels like a custom-made running shoe
- Flexible and cool looking and feeling, the upper hugs my feet while providing all the flexibility I need
- The Bandit three hits all the right notes: it’s responsive, durable and offers remarkable energy return
- The 8mm offset and flex grooves contribute to my performance on long-distance runs
- The rubber sole is deceiving: it looks heavy but it’s not, so my feet don’t suffer when I hit high-impact zones
- Stinky feet? Not when I wear these ventilated running shoes fitted with anti-microbial Ortholite sock liners!
- I usually don’t focus on style when getting running shoes, but these running shoes look trendy, rugged and unique.
- The heel counters keeps my feet locked in place so I don’t wind up sliding around or risking an injury.
- All of that targeted cushioning means a faster, more comfortable break-in period.
- UA SpeedForm construction may have reached a state of perfection in the Bandit 3
- Awesome improvement over my former UA shoes has made me a fan for life.
- Complain about too much cushioning? That’s exactly what a couple of Bandit 3 owners have whined about.
- These are not fabricated to be worn in the rain because the textile material covering the upper is porous.
- You could run into arch support issues if this condition has proven to be an issue with shoes in the past.
- Those lug-studded soles are great on dry pavement, but you could lose traction if you hit a wet patch.
I’ve got to say that the only complaint I have has to do with this shoe’s inability to perform in the rain. Since I never know what the weather will be like when I compete, my choice is between ruining my Bandit 3s and keeping them pristine by wearing them only when conditions are dry.
I don’t have to explain to my wife why I’m putting on alternative running shoes to undertake a marathon being held in inclement weather because I’ve already raved about the midsole, flexibility, energy return and sock liner, so she knows that these Bandit 3s will be on my feet when weather forecasts don’t predict rain. As a matter of fact, she thinks it’s sweet that I don’t want to risk ruining my Bandit 3 running shoes. She’s right. They’re keepers.
The UA Charged Bandit 3 Running Shoes are available at Under Armour Brand Houses VivoCity #02-21; Bugis Junction #01-77; Tampines One #02-22; Orchard Central #01-07/08; 16 Collyer Quay #01-03, select Royal Sporting House, iRun, Sportslink, Running Lab and DOT stores or at the official Under Armour’s online store for S$179.