If you’re looking for foods to increase metabolism, read these recipes for runners designed to burn fat and keep you healthy and satisfied. We’ve provided recipes for runners for breakfast, lunch and dinner…and a few healthy snacks in between! These healthy recipes for runners are perfect for both long distance marathon runners or those who run a bit less.
There are many types of food to increase metabolism that fire up your fat burning cells. Chillies pack a punch, as well as soybeans, tofu, miso soup, curry, bok choy, scallions, brown rice, shirataki noodles, broccoli, hot mustard, ginger, fish, citrus fruits and more.
Eggs Baked in Avocado (449 Calories per serving)
To make this protein packed and metabolism boosting breakfast, you’ll need 2 ripe avocados, 4 eggs, a dash of pepper and any type of garnish or topping you prefer (chives, hot sauce or salsa). Avocado can aid in weight loss if eaten in moderate amounts. It is a rich source of L-carnitine, an amino acid found in your liver. It helps to facilitate fat metabolism and fat loss.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees Farenheit (218 degrees Celcius).
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pits.
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of flesh from the center (just enough so that the egg will fit)
- Place your avocados in a small baking dish.
- Crack an egg into each avocado half. Try your best to crack the yolk in first, then let the egg whites spill in to fill up the rest.
- Place in the oven and bake 15-20 minutes. Cooking time may vary based on the size of your eggs and avocados. Make sure the egg whites have enough time to set.
- Remove from the oven and season with the garnish of your choice!
Fruit Smoothie with Whey Protein Powder
Whey protein powder packs quite a punch when it comes to metabolism. Consuming whey protein every day can increase your metabolism by 25%. Make sure that you look for low carb or low sugar whey protein products. Pair this with some fresh fruits and you’re ready to go! Pears, apples and citrus fruits are especially effective in boosting metabolism.
Thai beef salad with spicy peppers (256 calories per serving)
- 1/2 kg tender beef (cut into 1/8 inch thick slices and then cut into bite sized pieces)
For the Salad:
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp. sweet dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 tbsp. minced ginger
- 3 tbsp. chopped coriander/cilantro (including the roots)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (spring onions)
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots (small red or purple onions)
For the Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. chilli oil
- Barbeque the beef and thinly slice it into bite sized pieces.
- Combine with the salad ingredients, mix the sauce ingredients together and toss!
Low Sugar Dark Chocolate with Almonds
For an afternoon snack, try an assortment of unsalted almonds and dark chocolate. You can buy 100 calorie packs of almonds and then eat them as an in-between lunch and dinner snack. Break off a few small pieces of dark chocolate from a chocolate bar and enjoy!
Dark chocolate has 2 ingredients that are known to increase your metabolism: caffeine and the antioxidant known as catechin. Make sure to stick to a small square a day so that the sugar and calories don’t outweigh its fat burning potential. In addition, almonds are full of essential fatty acids and help keep you full, which may not aid in metabolism but can help with your weight loss plan.
Grilled Cod Fish (123 calories in 1 fillet) with Grilled Portobello (26 calories)
Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and can amp up your metabolism in no time. Omega 3 balances blood sugar and reduces inflammation, helping to regulate your metabolism. Omega 3 fatty acids also reduce resistance to leptin, a hormone that has been linked to how fast fat is burned.
- To cook the fish, put it on the grill wrapped in tin foil.
- Add lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix these ingredients together and pour it over the fish.
- Add some paprika for extra flavor and color, then a few onion slices on top for sweetness.
- Cook the fish for 17-20 minutes, grilling for 5-7 minutes per side. The fish will flake and fall apart easily when done.
- Drizzle olive oil and add dash of salt and pepper on the portobello mushroom and grill it for 5-8 minutes. You may like to grill it together with freshly chopped garlic for extra natural flavours.