If you just had a busy day in the office and don’t have time to squeeze in a full meal, having a snack bar is a quick way to get some energy before your run.
But it is pretty hard to find a tasty energy bar that does not contain artificial preservatives. Try this recipe for your very own DIY, no-bake chocolate oat bars!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 4 cups cereal
- 1 cup of each of your favorite nuts, dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups brown rice syrup, or maple syrup
- 1½ cups natural unsweetened peanut butter (Unsweetened peanut butter do not contain hydrogenated oils as stabilizers, so you will see peanut oil at the top of the jar. Stir before use.)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Heat the maple syrup and the peanut butter on medium heat till smooth
- Place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, mix in the peanut butter mixture. Mix well.
- Smooth out into a large square pan.
- Let cool, then slice into squares 2×2 inches each.
After cooling to room temperature, they can be kept in the fridge for even longer. If you have an oven, try the Banana-Nut Energy Bar for Runners!