4 December 2011. For many runners, it’s the flagship race of the year. That’s right. The much talked about and hyped up Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore is now within reaching distance. And with a 70,000-strong crowd set to flood the streets, expect a sea of blue to engulf the city’s landscape as runners take on five different routes: Full Marathon, Half Marathon, 10 kilometres, a 5-kilometre Fun Run, and Kids Dash.
After rounds of thorough analysis following feedback from the 2010 leg, runners can take heart at the improvements put forth by the organisers (Singapore Sports Council) this year. They cover the following:
- To ease congestion at the merging point of all three routes, participants of the 10km will now run on Nicoll Highway instead of hitting the East Coast Parkway (ECP) where Full and Half Marathoners will be running on. They will also start their race earlier at 7.15am on the Esplanade Bridge to create separation from runners in other categories toward the FINISH line.
- This year, the various age categories of the Kids Dash will flag-off earlier by an hour to minimise heat and congestion during the race. In addition, Kids Dash participants will have a dedicated FINISH lane at the end of their race.
- Full Marathon participants, who will begin their race at Orchard Road under the Christmas season’s light-up, will be greeted by the newly opened Bay East interim garden at the 33-kilometre mark.
- The baggage collection point will be moved to the War Memorial Park for all categories in close proximity to the FINISH point at the Padang.
We’re sure you’ve already been informed of this but just to be doubly sure, kindly note the varied flag-off locations and timings:
- Full Marathon – 5.00am @ Orchard Road
- Half Marathon – 6.30am @ Sentosa Gateway
- 10km/5km Fun Run – 7.15am @ the Padang