I Felt Like Satay Marinade Until UNIQLO’s DRY-EX Collection Rocked My World!
Once upon a time, athletic clothing made with wicking fabrics cost an arm and a leg, but that’s all changed since UNIQLO introduced its proprietary DRY-EX and DRY-EX ultra-stretch separates, shoppers have learned what it’s like to own separates made of the world’s fastest drying fabric!
Do I consider myself a top athlete? Perhaps in my own mind. But I do share a trait with men and women who fit that description: I grew weary of running in garments that made me feel as though I had taken a shower wearing my workout clothing.
To remedy my biggest complaint, I tried out the UNIQLO DRY-EX workout duds: t-shirt, knee and ankle pants and jacket in coordinated colours. Now I look as calm, cool and collected as I feel — even when I'm sweating up a storm — though I will have to stop telling running buddies that I feel like a chicken soaking in marinade when I run!
This Brand Takes a Stand
Anyone who has yet to shop the UNIQLO brand is in for a surprise. Make that surprises. This manufacturer isn't as much about profits and sales as it is about a corporate commitment to "LifeWear: Simple Made Better."
That philosophy transcends fads and gimmicks. Every garment reflects this company's belief that longevity, quality and simplicity are owed to brand enthusiasts. Because UNIQLO stands for timeless, effortless design, separates have universal appeal.
Further, UNIQLO has no intention of resting on its laurels going forward into the future: improvement, innovation and affordability dwell in the minds of those involved with the creative, marketing and manufacturing facets of new designs.
Perhaps that's why UNIQLO encourages shoppers to think beyond the next challenge by sending out this empowering message: "Never stop evolving because your life never stops changing."
UNIQLO's DRY-EX Features and benefits
- I can sweat as much as I want but the textile stays dry and soft.
- The looks and silhouettes are so classic, I may never go out of style.
- My arms are offered an unusual amount of freedom courtesy of the raglan sleeves.
- These wash-and-go separates launder so quickly, I'm back on my favourite trail fast.
What's in the Collection?
When I got home from the store and checked out my new UNIQLO separates, I was tempted to do a happy dance because my new DRY-EX crew-neck t-shirt, DRY-EX knee-length pants, DRY-EX Ultra stretch ankle length pants and DRY-EX Ultra stretch full zip jacket not only offer a coordinated colour mix with workout separates I already own, but I don’t have to worry about my heart when the bill arrives in my mailbox!
I don't star in it, but if you'd like to watch another dude try on his UNIQLO short-sleeve t-shirt, this YouTube video will give you a sneak peek at my shirt. I wish he had done a show-and-tell of all four pieces, but I guess two pairs of pants off and on before a camera wouldn't be a great idea. I know I wouldn't dare!
On the other hand, if you just want to go straight to the collection because you’ve got your plastic ready and you're convinced of this brand's merits, head here.
Now for some pros and cons...
DRY-EX Crew-Neck Short Sleeve Tee (S$19.90)
- This shirt keeps all of that sweat at bay and lives up to its promise to keep me feeling dry.
- The price couldn't be less off-putting; it suits my wallet.
- Love the two-way stretch that gives me a little leeway if I overdo it at my favourite street vendor.
- As styles go, not many women turn their heads when they spot me wearing the t-shirt.
- Colour selection doesn't bother me, but bro, you may like wearing red for any number of reasons!
- If Polyester fabric isn't a favourite because you require all-cotton, take a pass on this shirt.
DRY-EX Knee Length Pants (S$29.90)
- Designed for extreme athletes who thrive on heavy workouts and sweat buckets.
- They take seconds to don, and since I’m always late, this should be pro number one.
- Affordable pricing means I can afford more than one pair and launder them faster!
- I’ve experienced occasional static cling issues that drive me crazy.
- Color limitations are fine by me, but may not make other runners happy.
- If you’d rather not show your legs, we understand.
DRY-EX Ultra Stretch Ankle Length Pants (S$39.90)
- Engineered for athletes focused on stretch and movement, I wear them to post-run get-togethers, too.
- A coach favourite, they protect my legs from bruises if I indulge in extreme sports.
- Easy on and off make for quick changes for busy runners like me.
- A mate asked, "Who needs belt loops if all I plan to do in these pants is run?"
- Designed for a slim fit, I don’t dare gain a pound despite the stretch.
- A few of my run buddies won't wear Polyester when it gets muggy here in Singapore.
DRY-EX Ultra Stretch Full Zip Jacket (S$49.90)
- I can take this jacket from shopping to the gym because it's appropriate in multiple environments.
- Washability and wickability set this zip jacket apart from competitors.
- Because it's made of stretch jersey knit, I can wear it over a layer or two and not look like the Michelin man!
- Limited colour selections make this jacket more a utilitarian cover-up than a fashion statement.
- While functional and stretchy, these pieces only go up to size XL (fortunately, that’s my size).
- Limited colour palette of grey, navy and black could be a turn-off.
This UNIQLO DRY-EX collection is a dream come true for those of us who sweat like crazy, live a wash-and-wear lifestyle and don't like to spend money on clothing. Surprisingly, this four-piece collection delivered on style, so I'm favourably disposed to make these pieces my go-to favs.
If you're a peacock, you may wish to keep shopping for more flamboyant separates, but dudes, you’re going to run in these, not hit the runway!
Have you got into debates with runners who refuse to wear anything unless it's made with 100-percent cotton textile? What's the reason they’re so adamant? Allergy? Comfort? Habit? Inquiring minds want to know.
The UNIQLO DRY-EX collection is available at UNIQLO online and retail stores.