Sir Roger Bannister ran a sub 4- mile on 6 May 1954 at Iffley Road track in Oxford, England. He was 25 years old at that time. Bannister’s accomplishment was reported all over the world and he was crowned as the greatest distance runner of his time.
He was knighted in 1975 and lived till the age of 88. This is the story behind the world famous Iffley Road Track, where history was made. 66 years on, the legend of this famous venue still lives and breathes in all runners. It is a symbol of athletic performance and glory.
If you are looking for something new, novel and different. Iffley Road’s running kits are designed to perform well and look smart, so you’ll feel as good as you look.
Iffley Road is a running apparel brand from the UK. They produce high quality and stylish running kits suited for runners of all levels. They believe in producing sustainably to limit their impact on the environment, which is something that I, myself am an advocate off.
The Lancaster Striped Drirelease Vest Pebble Grey Maple is a great addition to your running kit wardrobe. It is suited for a warmer climate and for those long runs when you need as much ventilation as possible.
The lightweight, soft and breathable fabric will make running feel comfortable. It has a slim cut and allows your body to move easily without restriction. The classic tri-stripe ribbon is sewn on to the back of the kit on the inside and outside.
According to Iffley Road, the tri-stripe ribbon pays tribute to the original Amateur Athletics Association (AAA) colours from the 1950s. In my opinion, this is a unique feature that brings back history and serves as a reminder of the trail blazing glory of the old days. The vest is sold in 8 different colours.
- Very comfortable, absorbs sweat and dries very quickly.
- Sophisticated design that tells a story.
- Does not cause chafing.
- Long lasting and durable.
- Material might stretch over time with constant use.
- Not as stylish as the other conventional brands.
- The relatively thin material may accentuate the curves a little more than desired for the more rounded individuals.
The Pembroke 5″ Shorts Dover White shorts boasts very subtle details that an ordinary runner will not recognise. It has the signature tri-stripe side vents, a flat front, elasticated rear with an internal drawcord and two unobtrusive credit card sized front pockets.
The mesh inner brief also makes the shorts extremely comfortable to run in. Made from Italian fabric, the shorts is highly durable, and quality is assured.
- Soft mesh fabric gives a comfortable and light feel.
- A good blend of style, class and sophistication.
- The elasticated rear and internal drawcord ensure that the shorts fit perfectly while you run.
- The shorts are white in colour and it may get stained.
- The flat front, while it looks good when worn, may restrict movement especially when extending stride length to pick up speed when going for a sprint finish.
Where to buy
The Lancaster vest and Pembroke Dover shorts can be found on the Iffley Road online store. The vest is £53, and the shorts is selling at £60.
Iffley Road offers complimentary international shipping for orders over £75.
The quality of Iffley Road’s kit is definitely up to standard. It also has a fine touch of class and sentimentalism that is an acquired taste. No doubt, this kit is for the serious runner who appreciates the history and legacy of the sport. It is a lot to take in, but I must say that the prices of Iffley Road’s products may not be justified.
That stated, you will not come across a brand that presents the history of the sport so elegantly.
The beautifully constructed apparel has got my attention and I am confident that these two items will remain in my collection of running wear for a long time to come.