Will You Exercise At Home or Run Outdoor More?
Runners are being asked to make choices these days, so be wise about your decisions so you stay safe and healthy until the world gets back to normal.
Should you run or stick around? If you're careful, you can do both so you stay in great shape while surviving this historic, world-wide epidemic.
Maximize your time at home
Who needs lots of space or fitness equipment. Ready to jump in to a new world of at-home fitness with these effective workouts?
1. Spiderman Plank
3. Split Jump Lunges
7. Heel Slides
8. Standing Bicycle Crunches
Prioritise the big 5
Wondering which areas of your body require the most amount of tender loving care if you’re to stay fit until you can engage in outdoor activities once the virus is history? No mystery. Devote your time to these:
- Tone your upper body with biceps curls, triceps curls, bench presses, overhead presses, lateral raises and upright rows.
- Your lower body needs love, too. Favourite exercises to keep your lower body fit include lunges, squats, step-ups, mountain climbers and squat-thrusts.
- Never ignore your core. Push-ups, leg raises and planks do the job.
- Cardio strengthens your heart and lungs. Substitute jump roping or stairs for sprinting.
- Without stretching exercises, no workout routine would be complete.
4 safety tips if you decide to go running outdoor
Health experts say the risk of infection from outdoor exercise is low if we practice some common sense guidelines.
- Stay more than 2 metres away from other runners. Health experts recommend runners maintain a distance of twice that number: 4 metres. Run alone and run far away from other people.
- Avoid running in highly populated areas and choose off-peak times, like late at night or early morning.
- You don't have to wear a mask if you are running or jogging but you must put it back on once the activity is over. Don a reusable mask and walking is not considered strenuous activity.
- Slow down. Push hard but don't forget proper distancing recommendations.
What are you doing to stay safe? Have you found creative, unique ways to stay fit safely? Why not share your clever ideas(s)?
In these stressful and uncertain times, getting updated with accurate and useful information has never been so critical. No matter how unsettled the future feels, RunSociety will remain with you, delivering high quality news for free so we can all make critical decisions about our lives and health. Together we can overcome.
What we can do to help the situation is to keep our body and immune system in peak condition. If you are allowed or able to run outdoors, please do so cautiously but not panicky. Join our free online race to motivate you and pay tribute to our frontline heroes.