As the countdown to the highly anticipated Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS) 2013 race-day inches closer, organisers Spectrum Worldwide and the Singapore Sports Council, have unveiled a series of measures to deliver a convenient and flawless race for all. Keeping both the runners and members of the public in mind, there are concrete plans now in place for minimal disruptions to all on Sunday, December 1, 2013, when the athletes take their places at the three starting points:
- Marathon and Ekiden – Orchard Road (Corner of Orchard and Cairnhill Road)
- Half Marathon – Sentosa Gateway
- 10km, 10km Wheelchair and Kids Dash – Esplanade Drive
1. Race Entry Pack Collection (REPC)
All participants can collect their race packs as early as Thursday, 28 November. This is to avoid any further delays on the day of the race. The details of the collection are as follows:
- Collection Point: Singapore Expo Hall 7
- Date: 28 – 30 November (Thursday to Saturday)
- Time: 10:00 am to 9:00 pm daily
Each runner will receive a race entry pack containing:
- An exclusive SCMS 2013 running singlet
- Personalised race bib inclusive of a timing device (not applicable to participants of Kids Dash),
- Parents’ wrist band (only for Kids Dash participants aged 6 and below).
- Participants can also expect numerous exclusive items provided by sponsors included into this pack.
It is not compulsory for participants to run in the singlet provided but organizers encourage everyone to do so in the spirit of the event to allow easy identification of marathon runners along the race routes.
The event handbook will also be available at designated collection counters.
2. Baggage Handling
Participants are strongly encouraged to travel light, or make arrangements to leave their belongings with friends or family members attending the event to avoid any inconvenience.However, all race participants who have indicated their desire to use the bag-drop service, are highly encouraged to bring their clear plastic bag, provided in their race packs with them. Officers manning the baggage deposit points will only accept contents from the participants if it is packed and handed in these clear bags. This is to eradicate the bag inspection process, ultimately shortening the waiting time and reducing congestion at baggage deposit and collection counters.
Organisers have also revised several baggage deposit and collection locations for maximum convenience. The locations are as follows:
- Marathon & Ekiden #1 runners can proceed to Angullia Carpark
- Ekiden #2 runners can proceed to Floating Platform
- Rest of the Ekiden runners can proceed to The Promontory
- Runners in the 10 km category can proceed to The Padang
- Half Marathon runners will see no change with baggage deposit at Sentosa Gateway
The collection points will be as follows:
- Marathon, Ekiden and Half Marathon runners at The Promontory
- 10km runners at The Padang
The changes reflect the need to accommodate the large number of participants who utilize the option of baggage deposit. The organisers are confident that the new bag drop-off and collection points will reduce waiting times and help facilitate an efficient collection process for all participants.
|Baggage Deposit Location
|Baggage Collection Location
Ekiden #1 runners
|Ekiden #2 runners
|Ekiden #3, #4, #5, #6
10km – Wheelchair
750m Kids Dash
3. Road Closures on Race Day
As with previous years, SCMS 2013 will feature three starting points, with running routes passing through some of the most iconic landmarks in Singapore. The full marathon route will take runners through the heart of Singapore’s largest shopping belt, Orchard Road, towards the city’s financial district, followed by the stretch along East Coast Park before heading to the Padang for their finish. Runners competing in the Half Marathon route will head through the famed Universal Studios Singapore while 10km runners will run through Esplanade area before finishing at the Padang. As such, the public are advised to expect road closures and diversions in the lead up to, and on event day, to cater for the expected 54,000 participants.
Organisers assure that affected roads will be re-opened in stages, with normal traffic flow to be restored in all areas progressively. Members of the public are advised to plan for alternative routes if their destination is within the affected areas. To further minimize disruptions, SCMS are continuing their early race start times:
- 5:00am – Marathon, including Ekiden runners (Orchard Road)
- 6.30am – Half Marathon (Sentosa)
- 7.10am – 10km runners (Esplanade Drive)
For the convenience of participants and supporters, there will be extended train services available at both SMRT and SBS Transit operated train stations (excluding Changi Airport, Expo and Bayfront stations). Trains will operate at approximately 15-min intervals from 2.30am onwards, and standard fares apply for this specially commissioned service.
|North South Line
|East West Line
(Train Service ends at Jurong)
|Choa Chu Kang
5. Supporters Information and en-route entertainment
Lastly, in celebration of the festive period, supporters and runners will have a series of entertainment, kicking off at the starting point of all three-race categories, as well as throughout the race routes.
Stilt walkers in festive costumes, balloon punks, and various dance acts will entertain runners and supporters as they finish their races on a high. An interactive Kids Zone, with activities ranging from carnival-style bouncy castles and playgrounds to shrink art and craft, will also keep the young ones entertained throughout the event.
For spectators looking to support and motivate the runners, various Cheer Points have been set up along the route, with vantage points from which to cheer on the thousands of participants. A free shuttle bus service will also transport supporters from one Cheer Point to the next. Those keen on cheering will also receive an official Cheer Kit to help motivate the runners.