Weighing in at a scant 186g (for ladies’ US size 7), the New Balance Minimus Ionix 3090v2 is a feather light running shoe that does not compromise on premium responsiveness, cushioning and durability. The EVA footbed cradles the foot and allows for flexibility and maximum comfort. With a 4mm heel-forefoot offset compared to the original 3090’s 6mm offset, the New Balance Minimus Ionix 3090v2 is ideal for both neutral runners as well as runners transiting into barefoot running, making it easier to land on your midfoot or forefoot.
I was thrilled to receive these shoes for review. The model I received was blue with yellow and I especially like how the color combinations are subtle yet eye-catching at the same time. Fancy a louder color? It comes in 5 colors for men and 3 other colors for women. Pink, black with lime green, and silver with pink are a few of the choices available. The sole of the shoe is also very stylish, with the pattern inspired by a “molecular” theme.
The New Balance Minimus Ionix 3090v2 is definitely one of the lightest pairs of shoes I have ever lifted. They run true to size and fit like a glove. Had my first run with it for 9km on one of the mornings, I did indeed find myself landing more on the midfoot, which can save potential heel injury, promoting a better running form. Unlike new pairs of running shoes, which always give me terrible blisters on my first run, comfort was built right into the texture of this pair and I was blister-free!
I wore them again last Sunday for The Army Half Marathon 21km and it flew me to the finish line with no muscle cramps. The only problem I had was that even though the shoes are very lightweight, they appear to be a little less breathable than normal pairs of running shoes.
- Great training shoes that helps promote proper running form
- Good for all sorts of activities (short distance runs, sprint, crossfit etc)
- Very flexible and provides generous cushioning with every landing
- Comfortable to run on most terrains
- The lightness of the shoe
- Slightly tighter for runners with broad or flat feet, so buy ½ a size bigger
- Not recommended for trails as gravel and small stones might get stuck in the grooves of the outsole where the Mobium band is placed
- Not very well-ventilated