After the success of ASICS Relay 2017 in 4 countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand), ASICS Relay adds a new country in this year’s ASICS Relay 2018: ASICS Relay Philippines 2018, making it a relay series with a total of 5 countries. Kicking off its first stop in Manila, the capital city of Philippines, the edition expects to attract 750 teams, each consisting of 4 runners.
What is ASICS Relay?
The ASICS Relay highlights the uniqueness of team relay as it encourages teamwork among the participants over individual abilities. The concept is built on the idea that running 21km and 42km is challenging to most aspiring runners, and the relay concept offer participants the chance to complete a half or full marathon with three teammates.
About ASICS Relay 2018 Philippines
ASICS Relay Philippines 2018 is the first ever night relay race in the country. It will be held on Saturday, 26 May 2018 at SM By The Bay in Pasay City.
There are two race distances – 42KM Full Marathon and 21KM Half Marathon – and three relay categories – Male, Female, and Mixed team.
How to register for a relay?
Unlike individual races where each runner registers for himself/herself, registering for a relay is done first by the team’s captain, followed by team members. Here is the step-by-step procedure to register for ASICS Relay:
- Form a team of 4 runners. The team can be all-female, all-male or mixed.
- Decide on the distance: 42KM Full Marathon or 21KM Half Marathon.
- Decide the team’s name.
- Decide the team’s running order.
- Team captain registers with the team’s detail as well as the captain’s particular, and then make payment.
- Team members will receive an email with the link to sign up with their own particulars.
- All team members should register before the deadline.
The race fees are:
- 21km: PhP 3,400 per team (14 March – 4 April 2018) and PhP 3,600 per team (5 April – 27 April 2018).
- 42km: PhP 3,600 per team (14 March – 4 April 2018) and PhP 3,800 per team (5 April – 27 April 2018).
Receive a complimentary team slot to ASICS Relay Philippines 2018 when you purchase any regular-priced footwear in participating ASICS stores from 14 March to 14 April. Free slots are limited, so act fast!
What are the race entitlements?
All 42KM Full Marathon & 21KM Half Marathon teams will receive the following entitlements:
- 4 X Exclusive ASICS Branded Event Tee
- 4 X Exclusive ASICS Branded Event Tee
- 4 X ASICS Relay Race Pack with Sponsors’ Goodies
- 4 X Personalised Race Bib
- 1 X Relay Token (Distributed During Race Day)
How does the relay work?
On the race day, Runner 1 reports to the Start Arch with a Relay Token. After flag off, Runner 1 will run the required distance while holding the Relay Token. For Full Marathon, each team member is required to complete 2 legs of 5.25km, while Half Marathon participants only need to complete 1 leg of 5.25km.
At the end of the leg(s), Runner 1 will proceed to the Transition Zone to hand over the Relay Token to Runner 2. This procedure is repeated until Runner 4.
When Runner 4 finished the race, he/she will cross the Finish Arch and collect the finisher’s medals for the teammates.
What can you win?
Cash and product prizes worth over PhP 790,000 will be rewarded to the winning teams in both full marathon and half marathon categories. Here are the breakdowns.
Full Marathon (Male, Female, Mixed):
- 1st prize: PhP 39,900 per team, 4 x ASICS Jackets, 4 x ASICS Backpacks, 4 x ASICS Running Caps
- 2nd prize: PhP 23,950 per team, 4 x ASICS Jackets, 4 x ASICS Backpacks, 4 x ASICS Running Caps
- 3rd prize: PhP 15,960 per team, 4 x ASICS Jackets, 4 x ASICS Backpacks, 4 x ASICS Running Caps
- 4th prize: ASICS Vouchers worth PhP 15,960 per team
- 5th to 8th prize: ASICS Vouchers worth PhP 7,980 per team
Half Marathon (Male, Female, Mixed):
- 1st prize: ASICS Vouchers worth PhP 39,900 per team, 4 x ASICS Jackets, 4 x ASICS Backpacks, 4 x ASICS Running Caps, 4 x ASICS Shoecase
- 2nd prize: ASICS Vouchers worth PhP 39,900 per team
- 3rd prize: ASICS Vouchers worth PhP 31,930 per team
In addition, the champion team of the Full Marathon race categories will also be walking away with a grand prize – team slots to any one of the ASICS Relay race held in another country, inclusive of flight tickets and accommodation! If this excites you, you totally should register and start training right after reading this article!
After the Philippines, ASICS Relay 2018 will be held in 4 other countries: Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. The exact date and venue will be announced soon, so stay tuned and keep training!
Will ASICS Relay Philippines 2018 be an opportunity for you to bond with your loved ones or your running buddies?